Semester 3 summary...


 This MSc has been filled with ups and downs with regards to both the work and in my personal life - having become a Dad for the first time, losing my best friend to cancer and now getting married. There have been some pivotal changes in direction work wise - from wanting to learn CGI and Z brush to Motion Graphics combined with Futurist painting to Illustration and finally the desire to become a Character Designer and Concept Artist.

When I decided the latter was now my main aim things started to fall into place and I was overcome not only with excitement and new found ambition but also the feeling I've made the right decision and I'm now on a lifelong journey of learning, self-improvement and discovery.

I've consciously tried to listen to the feedback I've received and make the most of the professional insights from Kieran and the other lecturers throughout the course. Each time I've been given a piece of advice it has led to the development of new work or clarity on my own vision or direction - for example, Kieran's suggestion to work on life drawing studies to improve my knowledge of lighting resulted in some of the strongest work in my portfolio. The chat we had to reformat my first attempt at a portfolio and remove some of the work and not to forget the 'AHA moment' I had about using Procreate careers around their iPad.

This course was always meant to act as a springboard back into Industry, however it's become a lot more than that. The last ten months have been nothing short of life-changing, not only helping me learn new skills and rediscover my passion for drawing and animation but also help re-instill some much needed self-worth and confidence while helping me to create a whole new positive attitude and mindset towards creating a better life for my family and I.

I see the finish of this semester as a major success and rather than an ending, it's the start of a journey I would never have considered possible without the University of Dundee. I'm SO grateful to all the lecturers for their undivided support, understanding and knowledge.

I've truly enjoyed my time as a student and now excitedly look forward to progressing as a professional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...