Introducing the Mafioso muffin man...

 The next character I came up with I decided to name Big Al Forno, an Italian/American mobster who is vegetarian and loves to bake which explains his nickname - the Mafioso muffin man!

Above I started iterating on facial features based on the real life mob boss Paul Castellano, shown below...


I wanted him to have a large physique and be quite scary looking but also a bit of a bumbling idiot. 


Once I'd got a body shape I was happy with I started experimenting with different outfits, the one top left was similar to the photo of Paul Castellano but my drawing seemed to communicate shop keeper more than mobster, so I opted for the classic pin-stripe suit bottom left.

I then went on to play around with his facial expressions. I already had in mind some poses I wanted to draw so this gave me a starting point for different emotions I wanted to try and convey.
Below is a collection of poses, top right he's scared (I forgot to mention he has an irrational fear of pink flamingos!) to the right he's very pleased with himself after making a freshly-baked muffin. The two poses below show him firstly in quite a delightful mood as he's about to eat his favourite Spaghetti Bolognese just before finding out the chef forgot to use Quorn instead of beef mince!
Then I started a rough turnaround. I went on to explore some different coloured outfits, I'll share these in another post.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...