Sumo turnaround....


 First thing I did was draw up a turnaround of a sumo character then outline it in Procreate...




I then selected a small colour palette dropping in a base colour, one tint and one shade as well as sflat black for the belt and pants.


I then used a grey on another layer and changed the setting to 'multiply', added more highlights and a textured background.


I went on to share this design in a Facebook group for Concept Artists and Illustrators which led to a lot of very good if not slightly brutal feedback. The crux of this was:
  • ALWAYS use reference material when creating artwork
  • practice drawing shape and forms
  • really work on my knowledge of anatomy, proportion and balance
A number of people did comment that they could see this was meant to be a character with exaggerated proportions however it would be good to brush up on the fundamentals. This was similar advice to that which Kieran gave me for my video so will take it on board and practice, practice, practice the fundamentals as I go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...