Painting the design of Briar...

 

Although I'd suffered a little hiccup in the progress of designing Briar I was really excited to start adding colour to the line design. The first thing I did was select a basic colour palette and fill in the main large areas...


I then changed the layer type to 'Luminosity' to check the values worked well with each other...


I was happy with the above, so duplicated the layer and converted the layer type back to 'Normal' then went onto to select a base colour for all the other parts of the design. Then I chose one tint and one shade for each base colour and displayed them to the right of my design for easy access, then used each on a separate layer.

I also used the same technique I discovered last semester when creating a glow for my sword design (selecting Guassian Blur, then duplicating the layer twice and changing the layer type to 'Add') to create a crimson glow around the bow staff. I was really happy with how this developed...

Lastly, I've recently been reading about the basics of lighting and shadow and tried to incorporate some of this into the picture below. The shadow has a harder edge around and near the feet before becoming softer as it gets further away.


Before sending to Eve to get feedback I tried adding another Guassian Blur inside the crimson and got the following result which Eve preferred...


Eve was pleased with the design but asked if I could try an orange/yellow glow instead of the red, I did this by adjusting the 'colour balance' of each layer and got the following result...


This was a much better choice of colour for the glow. I adjusted the glare on the right leg and changed the rim lighting running along the edges of Briar's arm, leg, shirt and hood to orange instead of red which worked really well. Next, Eve and I chose to share this to the Peer Feedback channel in Teams, I'll discuss some of the comments we received in the next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...