Robo Samurai value study in preparation for adding colour...

After finishing the Robo Samurai design I was very eager to start experimenting with colour, but first I thought it would be cool to create a value study and it would also be useful for when the time came to paint this character so that I already had an understanding of the lighting and shape and form. I decided to have the main light source coming from the top left hand corner.

I also wanted to test out using a combination of different brushes to create the varying surfaces on the Samurai's body, shiny steel blades on the armour, helmet and swords. Rugged body parts, smooth sports bike inspired lower half of the body and heavy duty, off-road bike tyre. Brushes used were the Script, Willow Charcoal, Spraypaint and the Airbrush.

I'm finding the more I create, the more ideas I have and the more I want to push myself. I'm very pleased with the above study and how it helped me prepare for using colour. One other brilliant thing I remembered when completing this is Procreate records your work process (if the video recording selection is turned on) and you can watch a replay of your piece in the format of a time-lapse video as well as download a version, which I have posted below...


This also tells you how long you've spent on that particular piece of art which is good for getting to know how long your work takes you and developing a more professional approach. I'm definitely going to be using this footage in my video and making more use of this feature. Next I'll be turning my attention to choosing a colour palette for the final design and bringing this character to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...