My final part of the group project...

 Having worked with Eve to complete the transition from her dance scene into the moon and the spoon scene now being animated by Yutong, I took on one last job so that I could continue to contribute to the project before I step back in preparation for the birth of my son.

Seeing as I had already drawn up key points of the sequence above for the original animatic, I thought it would be of help to Yutong if I used these as well as Emma's colour study (shown above) to create finished and coloured key frames for Yutong to use when animating.

So I opened up the original Procreate file and saved copies of each frame, then in a new (1920 x 1080px) file I imported both the old black and white artwork along with the colour study which had already been split on to two layers for the transition from Eve's scene. 

I then placed both coloured layers in position before turning off the coloured backdrop. Then starting with the first black and white frame I lined up the coloured moon above the earlier sketch. Then duplicated the coloured moon and started to recreate the keys of it opening its mouth, lassoing around sections of the moon and resizing, distorting and erasing areas of the shape to create the basic overall shape. 



I then matched the colour and used both the Script brush and the Airbrush to fill in the gaps. On the white spoon I used some grey charcoal to add some texture.


Next up I turned off the original black and white frame and the white background at the bottom of the layers (this has caught me out when saving PNG's in the past) and one by one saved each frame as a PNG before sending to Yutong. The full sequence of keys (both original and colour with the background) can be viewed below...


























Here I re-used the first frame from the sequence and drew in the spoon...







I then started to duplicate and rotate the coloured frames to key out the start of the moon morphing into a pill which is the first frame from the next scene...  





I haven't seen the finished animated version yet but am really looking forward to it. I've really enjoyed being a part of this team and collaborating with my fellow students especially seeing as I wasn't looking forward to it at the start of the semester. A lack of confidence and concerns about what skills and knowledge I could bring to the table as well as personal questions of whether or not I'd be able to contribute have really brought out the best in me. This happened as soon as I found my niche in working mainly in the design stages using my drawing skills (and working on my iPad) but also my 2D animation experience came into play in other parts of the project reminding me of knowledge I haven't used for a long time, that although was relatively rusty was still able to make a good impact.  

This has given me a lot more confidence to take on tasks and develop my ideas and has also taught me there's not usually just one way to do things in this line of work. You don't necessarily need to know everything at the start, your attitude and enthusiasm are key and if you can combine a tenacious desire to be creative and keep trying things out with developing the fortitude and determination to seek out the answers to your questions, you stand a very good chance of creating work far better than you ever imagined you were capable of.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...