Developing the lower body of the Robo Samurai...

 

Returning my attention to the Robo Samurai design, with the deadline for submission fast approaching there's still a lot to do to finish the full design of this character and I really want to have a finished, coloured image by the end of the semester. So, I've decided to concentrate my final couple of days finishing the three-quarter view I've been working on so that I can introduce some colour to the design. I still want to develop the design of the back of the body so that I can draw up full turn around sheets and make pose sheets but this is something I'll come back to next semester.

In the meantime, I took the WIP of the full body into Procreate and developed the lower half...


 Above is a before and after shot, albeit the wrong way round lol The before is on the right for comparison. I started by widening the front of the pelvis and changing the shape slightly to incorporate a line down the middle to match that on the chest and stomach. I then changed the shape of the back and tail slightly and added lines to the pelvis to match the upper body.

Next, I turned my attention to the size of the motorbike wheel, enlarging it which I feel works well. As mentioned previously, none of the tyres in my motorbike moodboard were off-road tyres so I researched some different styles (these can be seen below) and used these to develop the one in the final design. 

I then took this rough figure into a new file and drew up the design below...

Here, as well as developing the design of the tyre I also thought it would be more pleasing to the eye if I lowered the armour so that it was no longer touching the edge of the head-light. So I selected it, lowered it and stretched it slightly. I also adjusted the waist/connection point between the upper and lower body, this is all feeling a lot more balanced and refined and now I just need to finalise my design for the arms and hands and also the swords and then I'll be ready to start experimenting with colour!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...