A few iterations on the Samurai sword design...

 


Now I had completed the design for the arms and hands of the Robo Samurai, I wanted to wrap up the upper half and design the sword. I searched Google images and Pinterest for references of classic Samurai swords. Here is some of what I found...


I used the photos above to draw the following designs...

Above, I started with the lightly drawn sword furthest to the left. Then looking at my mood board I realised these types of swords are slightly curved so I drew the design to the right. This had too much of a curve (looking more like a pirate sword) and again on closer inspection, I realised the handles also tend to follow the curve of the blade. 

Moving to the right I tried again, this was better but still quite simple. Next up I flattened the metal circle at the top of the handle, made the base of the handle thicker and added an engraved shape at the base of the blade. I also spent a bit more time rendering the pattern on the handle. 

I considered trying a different pattern or design on the handle but this is very iconic and I wanted the type of sword to be obvious and not be mistaken for a something else. So baring this in mind, I tried one final time, slightly shortening the blade, as well as the circular part at the top of the handle and I also made the base of the handle smaller this time round.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...