Animating the glow and adding a textured boil to the sword...

 Creating a glow for the sword design was only the first part of what I wanted to do, I thought it would be really cool to animate this glow and also try out the textured boil technique I'd used on the Keith Haring mural background. Here's how far I'd got at this stage...



Following on from the instructions from the tutorial I was using, the next stage was to create a keyframe at the start of the timeline on the Amount option of the duplicated Glow effect then move one second along the timeline and change the Amount to 20.

I then selected the 'placeholder' layer and clicked 'U' on the keyboard before holding Alt key and clicking on the stopwatch to open a text box in the timeline. Here I typed 'loopOut('pingpong').

Then I went to Glow Intensity and held Alt and clicked on the stopwatch and typed wiggle(2,2) into the box.

Then finally to the Drop Shadow 2 effect and again held Alt and clicked the stopwatch next to the Opacity option and typed in wiggle(2,30).

This created the following glow...



I was really happy with this but still wanted to bring the sword to life a bit more so I added textures to the handle and blade using the native colours as well as a white highlight. This was done using the same process described in detail in my blog post 'Creating a textured boil for the Keith Haring mural'. Only thing I changed was the timing of the boil to make it slightly slower.

This was the final result...



Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome and will definitely be developing ideas using these techniques. The next thing I'm planning to do is create a glow for just the blade of the sword and also incorporate the glow technique into the finishing stages of my Robo Samurai character design...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...