Adding colour to the Keith Haring mural animation...

 


Above is a colour test for how the final animated clip of the Keith Haring mural will look. This was made using both Procreate and Photoshop. 



In Procreate I created a new layer below the one above and using the Script brush I selected colours from the photo of the original mural that Keith Haring painted in the Palladium, the image is below...



As you can see I only used the top half of the mural in this design. With regards to the colour I started by selecting a pink/purple and drawing an outline for the sections that were going to be filled with this colour. I then selected the nearest shade of blue and did the same again and so on with each colour until I'd created a fully interlocked outline. Before doing this I decided I'd join up each section of colour because I had to take into consideration the fact the characters were jumping into shot one at a time and none of them are obviously in their final positions to start with and I didn't want areas of white in the background. Due to this I realised I'd then have to colour the figures in each frame white so that they stand out, I'm choosing to colour them white because they are this colour in the original mural.

Here is a shot of the coloured background, I used the spray paint brush in Procreate with a slightly lighter shade of each colour to make it look a little more appealing and not so flat...



 

I saved this as a JPEG and both the coloured final frame and an uncoloured final frame of the animation as PNG's and imported all three into Photoshop, lined them up and saved JPEG's as examples of how the finished piece will look before and after.

Below is an example of how the design fits behind the characters once they've reached their final position and also shows why I had to colour each of them white for the final output.




Today I aim to finish colouring each frame of the animated sequence, then export them as PNG's and import the sequence and coloured background into After Effects to create a finished movie clip. If all goes to plan I'll upload this clip tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...