A harsh lesson in staying focused...

 As part of my primary project, I wanted to design a sword from rough sketch to polished final illustration. I initially started working up a sketch in Adobe Illustrator but after my progress was slow I decided to choose another design and work in Procreate on my iPad instead.

I drew the sketch below referencing a photo I found on Google, here are both pics. Can you spot the huge mistake?...





That's right, the blade is facing in the wrong direction!!! Unfortunately I was so focused on drawing a crisp line that I didn't notice, until I'd completed several full coloured designs and laid them next to each other. 'Something doesn't look quite right about that handle' I thought to myself...

Lesson learned. It was too late to change the work but I won't make the same mistake again. Here are the finished designs anyway, I wanted to experiment with both block colour and a charcoal texture as well as using no outline, a thin outline and a heavier black outline. I think I'm leaning towards the thin outline with the charcoal but I still want to play around and see what I can come up with. I'm very excited to produce more work.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and white life studies...

Adapting my new work flow on one last illustration...

My final portfolio...